Electricity enables us to work in the first place, powering our homes and businesses so that we can keep connected. It powers our computers, our life-saving medical devices, our air conditioners and our refrigerators as well as many other appliances, and when there is a power failure, without a generator, all activity comes to a standstill.
While electricity is an essential part of our lives, it has also killed and injured many people, started fires and caused major damage to property. An electrical current passing through your body can cause electric shock, and this can result in burns, muscle damage as well as nervous system effects such as fibrillation. The heart can be damaged also because the organ is in the path of the most common routes that electricity takes. All systems, equipment and circuits have to be grounded to protect people from shock and injury.
Electricity is All Around Us
Look around your workspace – there is electricity all around us, and many times computers, monitors, radios, printers, heaters, lighting and other electronics are all working simultaneously in one small office and off one socket. Improper wiring is a major fire hazard with an overloaded circuit. Have an expert install additional outlets if your office has reached the maximum the outlet can take.